Senior Services Council of
San Juan County, Inc. 501(c)3
Our history is inextricably part of our parent body, the Senior Services Council of San Juan County, Inc. 501(c)3 (SSCSJC), the overarching Senior Services Council for Operations Committee Boards at the San Juan, Lopez, and Orcas Island Senior Centers. Each island holds fundraisers to specifically support their area’s services and programs; we are the Orcas District (DBA: Orcas Senior Center) of the SSCSJC nonprofit organization. SSCSJC works closely with San Juan County Senior Services but is a separate nonprofit entity.
Mission Statement of our Senior Services Council:
To assist seniors age 60 and over to recognize and deal with their needs and to provide a spectrum of services through a multi-function agency which will serve the recreational, intellectual, social, physical and mental needs of seniors regardless of race, creed, or national origin.
Goals of the Senior Services Council:
- Maintain the value and dignity of seniors, regardless of their abilities or disabilities, to maximize their contribution of life experiences to each other, our youth, and our communities.
- Support provision of services to seniors and their caregivers by the Senior Services Division of San Juan County Health & Community Services Department. Assist staff in implementing and operating senior programs in a manner which is legal, ethical, fiscally responsible and fulfills program specific standards for grant funds and private donations.
- Operate accessible vehicles with which to provide specialized transportation services to seniors and disabled in our communities.
- Develop and operate Senior Center facilities on each major island for the provision of services and programs aimed at increasing quality of life for seniors, their caregivers, and the community as a whole.
- Provide a non-profit corporate umbrella for Island Advisory Committees which identify and endeavor to meet local needs and service gaps.