Job title: Temporary/Relief Cook- Orcas Island Senior Center (Covid-19 Essential)
Program: Meals on Wheels and More
Location: Orcas Island Senior Center
Supervisor : Food Service Manager
Hours/Week: up to 24
Schedule: Approx. 7am-3pm- Mon/Wed/Fri (hours subject to change)
Meals and Wheels and More is a program of the Whatcom Council on Aging, a non-profit organization that supports the health, vitality and independence of seniors as they age. Meals on Wheels and More fosters the nutritional and social health of local seniors by providing home delivered “Meals on Wheels” and Senior Community Meals to seniors throughout Whatcom and San Juan Counties.
This position is responsible for the production, packaging, delivery staging, and clean-up of 50-70 Senior Meals 3 days per week at the Orcas Senior Center.
Duties and responsibilities
- Preparation and service of the Meals on Wheels and More senior meal with adherence to monthly menu, Program recipes, nutritional guidelines and proper portion control.
- Maintain a safe work environment during the COVID-19 Pandemic consisting of, but not limited to, wearing face masks, gloves, maintain social distance, and self-evaluating overall health daily to reduce exposure and possible transmission of virus among guests, staff, and clients.
- Packaging of meals for Meals on Wheels deliveries
- Delegation of tasks for kitchen volunteers
- Responsible for proper cleaning/sanitizing of dishes, work area and equipment.
- Responsible for day to day direction of kitchen assistant.
- Maintenance of kitchen inventory including ordering and receiving of food and supplies.
- Maintenance of records as needed, such as timesheets, temperatures, meal counts, invoices, and any other pertinent paperwork.
- Supervision and training of volunteers involved in the production, serving, packaging, or cleanup of meals.
- Compliance with all federal, state, local and WCOA safety, health, and employment standards and policies.
- Adherence to all WCOA/ Meals on Wheels and More Program standards.
- Participation in occasional staff meetings and special events.
- Other duties as assigned
The Ideal Candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Ability to work independently.
- 2+ Years of culinary experience (high volume or institutional preferred).
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively with, employees, management, volunteers and participants, and senior center personnel.
- Knowledge of cooking techniques and safe operation of all kitchen equipment.
- Ability to follow a standardized recipes and monthly menus.
- Ability to prepare a meal from scratch for up to 60+.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to execute job tasks in a specified time.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced kitchen environment.
- Culinary Training Preferred.
- High school diploma or G.E.D.
- Current Washington State food worker card.
- Requires prolonged standing as well as stooping, bending and reaching.
- Requires physical exertion to manually move, lift, carry, pull or push heavy objects on carts as well as for cleaning related tasks.
- Ability to lift up to 40 pounds.
- Paid sick leave and personal holiday
- Employee Assistance Program
The Whatcom Council on Aging provides services and employment on a non-discriminatory basis, and complies with section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the American Disabilities Act of 1990.
For more information please contact:
Ian Cassinos, Food Service Manager – 360-746-3495 or firstname.lastname@example.org